2020 was quite the stressful year for just about everyone. Not to mention, all of the couples imagined having their dream wedding this year, all to have a pandemic thrown in the mix. For the couples who did have their wedding this year, I’m sure there were changed plans, stressful moments, and everything crazy in-between. If you haven’t caught onto self-care this past year, then now is definitely your time to start. Keep reading for a little advice from myself on my personal self-care tips that helped me tremendously leading up to my big day, which you will hopefully learn from too!
- First off, don’t be afraid to put aside a certain amount of time before the wedding to make sure everything is in order! If you are able to do so, it’s a wonderful way to put your mind at ease while the details of your wedding are falling into place. I took the entire week off before our wedding to get any last minute details ironed out as well as resting with our people. I made sure that all errands were finished by Thursday afternoon so I could be present with my people and not stress all day on Friday, the day before our wedding.
- Make sure you are being intentional to take care of yourself by staying hydrated, eating healthy and balanced meals, and exercising so you can feel energized on the big day! I took immune boosters, started my day with yoga and stretching, and made sure to keep myself well-rested. Taking care of my physical and mental health during this process made me feel like my best self!
- Pamper yourself – and your friends! I got some quality girl time in with my two best friends/bridesmaids at the nail salon. How can you feel stressed when you’ve just received the best mani pedi with your gals by your side?
- While spending time with friends and family is filling to some, time spent alone is sometimes just as fulfilling. I spent time reading through old journal entries and reflecting and writing out my vows and letters to my love, bridesmaids and family members. Use the week before your big day to be reflective. Here are a few journal prompts that can help you get into a reflective space-
- What three emotions am I feeling in this very moment?
- What part of marriage am I most excited about?
- What three things did I learn from our engagement season?
- One thing I want to cultivate in our marriage?
While all of these activities helped me practice self-care before my wedding, I hope they’ve inspired you to do the same!